Did you know that making an impact in the lives of other people can be fun? Often we think that to make a significant impact we must do something on a grand scale or commit a bunch of time and resources to a cause to be effective.
But often some of the greatest impact we can make is in the little day to day things we do, such as helping a neighbor or serving a few hours a week at a shelter or our local hospital.
Impact is impact. It simply takes making up your mind to live with an impact mindset and then opening your eyes to the opportunities around you.
I love being able to serve in various way, but I especially love when we can serve as a family. Sometimes it can be difficult to find those opportunities for the whole family to serve, but they are out there.
Here are a couple ways our family serves together:
- 5k walk/run events – These are always a fun event for our family. Since not all of us love to run, we look for the run/walk options so that we can all participate. The key is to participate in the races where they are supporting and raising funds for a organization that is serving others . Here are a few our family has participated in: Wounded Warrior’s, our local Stride For Life event, Charlottesville Women’s Four Miler and other local races for various groups.
- Food Bank – When our girls were in middle school we started serving at our area food bank. I honestly wish I had started sooner with them because it has been such a blessing in our lives. We help with packing grocery bags and then return the next day to distribute it to the families that have come to pick up food. I love interacting with the families and having the chance to bless them during their season of struggle just like others blessed us many years ago when we were struggling. It’s amazing what a friendly voice and warm smile will do to lift your spirits.
- Soup Kitchen’s & Homeless Shelters – This year at Thanksgiving and Christmas our family is taking a few days to help serve meals at our local shelter. A few weeks ago our local shelter put out the word that they were needing help to serve the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals to the shelter residents. Immediately I thought “What a wonderful way to serve and give back to our community” – so I picked up the phone and signed us up. Since then, we have had two other families commit to joining us that day.
- Habitat For Humanity Builds – Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful organization that is meeting real needs in the communities they are based in. When I was in high school I had several opportunities to help with constructing habitat homes. The most memorable one for me was when a group from my high school went down to Florida and helped with a week long blitz build. It was an amazing experience – not only because of the opportunity to see these houses go up, but to meet and work alongside the families these homes would bless. Head to Habitat’s website and search for a Habitat Affiliate near you.
- Local Non-Profits – In almost area there are local non-profits working hard to make a difference in their community. Whether it’s feeding people, raising money for families battling cancer or providing Kid Care bags to public school children – there is always somewhere that you can find to serve.
What other fun ways has your family found to serve those around you? Share in the comments below or over on our Facebook page. Together we can make a difference. Together we can make an impact that will change someone’s world.
Linking up this week with these great sites